Sunday, January 20, 2013

Beauty for Ashes

Genesis 49:23-25, "Skilled archers have bitterly attacked and sorely worried him; they have shot at him and persecuted him. But his bow remained strong and steady and rested in the Strength that does not fail him, for the arms of his hands were made strong and active by the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob, by the name of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, by the God of your father, Who will help you, and by the Almighty, Who will bless you with blessings of the heavens above, blessings lying in the deep beneath, blessings of the breasts and of the womb."

Have you ever been hurt by someone? If you've ever taken even one breath, the answer to this question would be a definite yes! There isn't one person on this earth who has never been hurt by someone before. We've all been there, and we all have been the one hurting someone else before also.

Joseph is one of my favorite people in the Bible when it comes to how he dealt with the way he was mistreated. As a young man, Joseph's brothers plotted to kill him, but instead, they sold him into slavery. God was with him and promoted him, but then he was lied about and, in return, thrown into prison.

If I was Joseph, I would've been mad. I would've felt betrayed by my family and angry about the fact that things were believed about me that were false.

Joseph had a different outlook on his treatment, though. He saw things through God's eyes.

When Jacob was blessing his sons right before he died, he talked about how Joseph was bitterly attacked and sorely worried by skilled archers. They shot at and persecuted him. Then it goes onto say, "But his bow remained strong and steady and rested in the Strength that does not fail him, for the arms of his hands were made strong and active by the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob, by the name of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, by the God of [his] father..."

Joseph was able to stay strong while being mistreated because he rested in the Strength that does not fail him. His hands were made strong and active by the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob. Joseph's strength was found in God alone.

In Genesis 50:18-20, there was a moment with Joseph and his brothers that really stood out to me. It says, "Then his brothers went and fell down before him, saying, See, we are your servants (your slaves)! And Joseph said to them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God? [Vengeance is His, not mine.] As for you, you thought evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring about that many people should be kept alive, as they are this day."

Joseph saw past his suffering and persecution into seeing how God used that for good. He didn't allow his circumstances to control him. He allowed God to use his circumstances for the bigger picture.

Today is one of those days where I've dealt with hurt. I'm struggling with feelings of betrayal, and the pain cuts deep! I want to handle my hurt as Joseph did and see the bigger picture, but in the moment, I want God's vengeance to happen NOW! I can't see how the pain that I am experiencing will ease and get better, but I have to trust that what was intended for my harm, God will use for my good. I'm sure that right away Joseph didn't know how his being sold into slavery would result in the lives of many people (including his own family) being saved, but God knew that all along. I'm sure that he didn't know how being lied about and being thrown into prison would result in being promoted to a position to help save so many lives either. But God took the ugly and made it beautiful.

Today, my mess feels like a big pile of dog poop, but I have to hold onto God and trust that what was intended for my harm, He intends for good. As Isaiah 61:3 says, "To grant [consolation and joy] to those who mourn in Zion -- to give them an ornament (a garland or diadem) of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, the garment [expressive] of praise instead of a heavy, burdened, and failing spirit -- that they may be called oaks of righteousness [lofty, strong, and magnificent, distinguished for uprightness, justice, and right standing with God], the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified."

If you are going through a difficult situation right now, I encourage you to ask for God to be your strength. Pray that He will help you handle what you're going through in a godly way that will bring glory to His Name. It won't come naturally. We like to take things into our own hands, but God tells us to allow Him to cast our burdens on Him. Allow God to be God in your life and watch him turn ashes into beauty!

Dear Heavenly Father,

Joseph is a wonderful example of someone who allowed You to take what was ugly and make it beautiful. He could've become bitter. He could've harbored unforgiveness, but instead, He lifted His eyes to You and allowed You to give him beauty for ashes. God, You see what I'm going through. You see the hurt and the pain that I feel, but You also see the bigger picture. Help me to trust You, although I don't understand, and help me to forgive, although everything in me wants to be bitter. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment