Friday, February 15, 2013

Following God no Matter the Cost

Acts 20:22-24, "And now, you see, I am going to Jerusalem, bound by the [Holy] Spirit and obligated and compelled by the [convictions of my own] spirit, not knowing what will befall me there--except that the Holy Spirit clearly and emphatically affirms to me in city after city that imprisonment and suffering await me. But none of these things move me; neither do I esteem my life dear to myself, if only I may finish my course with joy and the ministry which I have obtained from [which was entrusted to me by] the Lord Jesus, faithfully to attest to the good news (Gospel) of God's grace (His unmerited favor, spiritual blessing, and mercy)."

Have you ever known that the Holy Spirit was leading you somewhere, but you didn't know exactly what was going to happen to you when you decided to follow? Perhaps you knew that it was going to require some suffering, but no matter how much you wanted it to not be so, you knew that that was where you were being led?

In Acts, we see Paul being called to go to Jerusalem. Acts 20:22 says, "...I am going to Jerusalem, bound by the [Holy] Spirit and obligated and compelled by the [convictions of my own] spirit, not knowing what will befall me there..." Paul felt the Holy Spirit's leading, but he didn't know just what lied ahead. The only thing he knew for certain was that he was called there and that he was going to be dealing with imprisonment and suffering.

Paul had a decision in his life to make. He could follow what was going to be easy for his flesh, or he could follow where the Holy Spirit was telling him to go.

What would you choose?

As I read Paul's next statement, I stand amazed. He says this: "But none of these things move me; neither do I esteem my life dear to myself, if only I may finish my course with joy and the ministry which I have obtained from [which was entrusted to me by] the Lord Jesus, faithfully to attest to the good news (Gospel) of God's grace (His unmerited favor, spiritual blessing, and mercy)."(verse 24).

As Christians, we must come to the point that Paul came to and stop being so concerned with our lives here on earth. We must let go of being in control of our own lives and begin surrendering to what God has in store for us, no matter what it may cost us humanly speaking.

Recently, God has been really convicting me about needing to let go of what I want and begin receiving what He has in store for me instead.

I'd like to say that I am like Paul, following wholeheartedly no matter what the cost, but I've found myself not wanting to give God the reins in certain areas of my life. I just prefer that God would agree with what I want and bless it. That's not the case, though. God has a beautiful plan in mind for my life, as He does for yours too, and He is not willing to give us less than His best. We can choose to pursue something other than God's will, but we will never find true fulfillment until we begin living in the center of His will.

Are you being called by God to go somewhere, to do something, to let some of your dreams go, to surrender to Him? Me too. Lets begin together today to follow God even when we don't know what will befall us next. Let's fully commit to being faithful to God, and watch just how faithful He is to us.

Dear Heavenly Father,

As I look at Paul in this chapter, I find that he was not concerned with what he wanted. His only concern was that he was right where You wanted him to be and that he was glorifying You. I pray that my heart's desire will be the same. I pray that You will help me let go of what I want, what I think, and what I feel in order to press in to what You want, what You think, and what You feel and know is best. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment