Friday, February 8, 2013

Something More

Isaiah 55:8-9, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts."


Today I heard a song by Francesca Battistelli called "Something More" that inspired me to write this devotional. This song talks about how when things don't turn out the way that we hoped they would, maybe just maybe God is trying to show us that we were made for something more.

As I listened to this song, God reminded me of the plans that I've had for my life that have left me feeling empty inside instead of fulfilled. I think about my dream of being a wife and mom and how that has seemed like it'd be the best thing in the world for a long time, but that isn't where God has me right now.

God reminded me of Isaiah 55:8-9 and how His thoughts and ways are not my own... they are higher.

Recently I've been plunging into ministry and truly seeking God because I found myself dealing with a struggle that was either going to defeat me, or I was going to defeat it with following God's will for my life. Where I'm being led right now isn't into marriage or motherhood. Instead, I'm finding myself being led into using the gifts and talents God has given me to further His Kingdom and to help other people. He is leading me into Bible studies where I will have fellow believers to walk by my side on this narrow path that leads to eternal life!

As I sought my own dreams and plans for my life, I found lack. There wasn't fulfillment because I wasn't walking in the center of God's will for my life. I was wanting God to walk with me in my own will.

As I looked up the verses of Isaiah 55:8-9, God lead me to read the whole chapter. Verses 2-3 really stood out to me! They say, "Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your earnings for what does not satisfy? Hearken diligently to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness [the profuseness of spiritual joy]. Incline your ear [submit and consent to the divine will] and come to Me; hear, and your soul will revive; and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with you, even the sure mercy (kindness, goodwill, and compassion) promised to David." Personally, this verse says this: "Taylor, why are you spending your time trying to get what you want your way? Hearken diligently to Me, and receive what is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness [the profuseness of spiritual joy]. Incline your ear [submit and consent to the divine will] and come to Me; hear, and your soul will revive..."

As long as we are trying to run our own lives, we will never find the fulfillment that we are longing for. When I was trying to convince God that I knew what was best for my life, I wasn't happy. I was miserable! But the second that I surrendered my will and said, "Okay, God. I'm done living for myself." and I began walking in His will, I found complete joy and satisfaction!

Recently God has been showing me that He has a good plan for my life, and it is something more than what I had planned for my own life!

Are you still trying to convince God to do things your way? I've been there, and it doesn't bring about good things, but if you will surrender to God's plan instead of trying to hold on for dear life to your own ideas of what would be best, it is then that you will find the more that God has in store for you!

Dear Heavenly Father,

You have given me visions for my life in the past few days that have led me into ministry and into drawing closer to You. As you worked on my heart and helped me begin surrendering to You, I found purpose and meaning for my life once again. Thank You for that! You are my reason for living! I totally surrender my will to You. I lay my life at Your feet in exchange for the ways and thoughts that You have for my life! Lead my life! In Jesus' Name!

Amen.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment