Thursday, August 1, 2013

Persecution, A Blessing... Not a Curse

2 Timothy 3:12, "Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution."

Persecution... what is it? Who has to endure it? How does one keep on keeping on in the midst of it?

Persecution is something that we hear about often when we're Christians. I believe we all have had to endure some form of it at one point or another. In America, we probably haven't been thrown into prison over us calling ourselves follower's of Jesus Christ, but we still have had to deal with some forms of persecution.

What am I talking about?

As I look at our society today, I've noticed the expressions, the reactions, and the statements that have been made about Christians. The world is offended by our commitment to Christ. They are offended by the beliefs we stand by, and they want us to be quiet and stop standing up for what is right.

As I get older and older, I see all the more often how living a godly life doesn't make sense to the people around us. When I go to work and share what I stand for even in day to day decisions that I have to make, people will often look at me as if I am the weird one. As I take a stand in relationships to honor my father and mother instead of being rebellious, I have people look at me with an attitude of, "Well, you're an adult. You should be able to make your own decisions. You don't need to obey them." As I share what movies I am and am not okay with, I hear the statements of, "It's JUST a movie. It's not real anyway."

The above paragraph describes the forms of persecution I've had occur in my own life. I've lost people I was once close to due to taking a stand for God.

Most of us view persecution as a bad thing on our part. It's very easy to take a "woe is me" stance in the midst of persecution, but 1 Peter 4:14 says, "So be happy when you are insulted for being a Christian, for then the glorious Spirit of God rests upon you." Also, we can be assured that what we are experiencing isn't something that we alone are going through. I know that in my own life, there have been times that I've felt as if I was the only one being persecuted for doing what I believed God was telling me to do, but 1 Peter 5:8-9 reminds me that I am not alone. It says, "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are."

I don't know what kind of persecution you've faced. Perhaps my stories sound like a piece of cake in comparison with your experiences, but the point is that we can be happy when being persecuted instead of being gloomy and sad.

Paul experienced great persecution, yet God taught him through all of it how to be content no matter what he was going through. Philippians 4:11b says, "...for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have."

I wish I could say that I've represented Christ well through my persecution, but I've come to learn that I have a lot of growing to do in this area. I've struggled with being content in all circumstances. I've had a sour attitude rather than having an attitude of joy which really is what God could use greatly to witness to the people around me.

What is the key to this contentment? The answer is found just a few verses down in Philippians 4:13: "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

Whatever you're facing today... even if you are facing persecution, I encourage you to consider it a blessing rather than a curse. I'm preaching to the choir! Today, I choose to no longer look at my life and shriek back in fear of persecution. Rather, I will follow God no matter what and remember that the joy of the Lord is my strength.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I am sure that I am not alone when I say that being persecuted for doing the right thing isn't a pleasant feeling when we're going through it. I must admit that I am tempted to not say anything in attempts to not be looked at as the "weird one" instead of taking a bold stand for You to represent You whether I am surrounded by Christians or surrounded by lost and hurting people who may not even know it, but they need You. Help me to have a healthy balance of standing up for You and still showering Your love on those who may not agree with my relationship with You. Forgive me for my bad attitude that I've carried around for far too long. Let me face every day with the joy of the Lord being my strength, and use me as a wonderful witness for You! In Jesus' Name.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment