Saturday, May 9, 2015

Something New

Isaiah 43:19, "For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."

Jeremiah 29:11, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'"

On my way home from the store a couple weeks ago, I looked to the left of the street and saw what would've been my life walk past me. There on the left hand side of the street, I saw a new, semi-young family taking a walk. The husband, the wife, and the new baby wrapped in a blanket. Cute picture, right? Yeah, except the husband was my ex-boyfriend.

As I finished driving home with the picture of this new family freshly on my mind, I went into my room to spend some time with God. I didn't wish that I was still with my ex (that's for sure), however, sometimes I've envied the young family picture when that's my dream, and I'm not there yet. For a moment, I felt a sting, but after my time with God, I felt renewed.

That relationship with my ex ended close to two years ago. God's brought so much healing to my heart! My hope in sharing this devotional isn't to focus on the past. It's to celebrate what God is doing now... something new.

So, I've been praying for a godly man to marry for... well, since I was twelve. Okay, but I've really been passionately praying about my desire for a godly spouse and for God's direction in this process for about a year or so. There have been different guys I've met, and if any interest arose, I'd put their name in my prayer journal and ask God what He thought about me being interested in them. God really proved to me that this works when I was praying about this one guy who seemed so charming and ideal, but I found out he was really bad news, and I didn't even have to get my heart broken to find out. That's all it took. I was hooked on praying about these guys before investing my heart from here on out.

Some time passed, and my prayers continued, but apparently I didn't have God's go-ahead because I also remained single.

But then... someone came along who I realized just might be different than all the rest. I must share with you the amazing thing God's been allowing to take place in my life.

His name is Nathan.

In just the short amount of time I've known Nathan, God's given me a glimpse of what having a godly man... a truly godly man by my side could be like.

Nathan is a real Christian. "What do you mean?" you ask. His walk matches his talk. He is easy to talk to and be around. I can just be me which says a lot because I don't always have an easy time with that around guys. He seeks God about where we're heading and asks me if there's anything he can be praying for me about. He has respect for me and cherishes my heart. He is a total gentleman.

Why am I sharing all this with you?

Because in the last few weeks, I've had hope of having a godly relationship in my own life, and as I saw my ex-boyfriend with his new family taking a walk, instead of only seeing what was that isn't, I now get to see the new thing God is doing that FAR EXCEEDS the was!!

For so long, all I could see was my Egypt. I saw what I left, but I couldn't see hope of reaching where I was going... my promise land.

After much prayer, Nathan and I made our relationship official last night. I'm so happy to call him my boyfriend and beyond blessed to be called his girlfriend. He and I will be continuing to pray about where our relationship leads. Our greatest desire is that God is at the center of our relationship.

I don't know what God has up ahead for Nathan and I. What I do know is that I've got to see recently that God really does have a plan to prosper me, not to harm me. After the few weeks I've spent getting to know Nathan, I have restored hope in seeing that the new thing God is doing is way better than the old. I could only see what I'd given up before, but now I get to see what could be up ahead.

If you're struggling with the "what was, but isn't" as you wait to see the "what will be", I just want to encourage you with my story. God really does know the plans He has for you, and let me assure you that they are good. Don't lose hope. Leave Egypt and press on into your promise land. It does exist!

Dear Jesus,

For the first time in a long time, I have hope of reaching my promise land. Thank You for letting me see past Egypt. Thank You for putting Nathan in my life and allowing me to see what life with a godly man can be like. I pray You'll be the foundation, the center, and the focus of our relationship. I pray for anyone who feels discouraged. Help them not stay discouraged and give up along the way. Rather, let them have continued hope in You. Thank You that Your plan is so much better than what we could think up on our own. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment