Friday, August 24, 2012

Beating the Odds

Jeremiah 32:17, "O Sovereign Lord! You made the heavens and the earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!"

Jeremiah started out his prayer with full assurance that nothing is too hard for God. He knew that no matter how big his circumstances may be, God was still bigger. All throughout the Bible we find stories of people beating the odds. David, a small shepherd boy, killing a nine foot tall giant; a virgin girl becoming the mother of our Savior; an older couple having a baby; blind men seeing; dead people being raised back to life; leprosy being completely washed away... the list goes on! These people were simply ordinary people like us, who knew, believed in, trusted, and relied on an extraordinary God. I'm sure David knew his odds (humanly speaking) of killing Goliath. He was small, but as Veggie Tales so perfectly puts it, David knew that although he was small, God was bigger. Mary knew that scientifically a virgin could not conceive, but she believed what God said and became the mother of Jesus. Abraham and Sarah were well aware that 80 to 100 year old people didn't bear children, but they knew even more that God is faithful to keep His promises. Jeremiah also recognized God's ability to take care of anything that needed to be taken care of. Why? Because he knew that God is God.

As I look at my own life, I wish I could say that I've had this abundant faith in God, yet I find that that particular area is one that needs major improvement. Recently I started college, and there have been situations that are literally out of my control. I'm doing the best I can with what I've got, but there's only so much I can do. I have a strong desire to be on top of things. I like structure, order, and organization, and without those things, I feel out of control, but here I am. I'm having to practice knowing, believing in, trusting in, and relying on God. He wants me to rest in the fact that nothing is too big for Him.

Are you, just like me and so many people in the Bible, facing a situation that is out of your control? Do you feel overwhelmed? Me too, but today I'm going to rest in knowing that nothing is too hard for my God.

Dear Heavenly Father,
  I see countless times where You've made impossible and overwhelming situations not just possible but also victorious. Lord, I don't want to go around this mountain again. Today, I'm resting in You believing that you're going to make me victorious in these college battles. Regardless of the outcome, I believe You're going to work it out somehow. Thank You for Your faithfulness. In Jesus' Name. Amen.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeL-B_unh0s&feature=player_detailpage

No comments:

Post a Comment