Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Building on the Rock

Proverbs 24:3, "Through skillful and godly Wisdom is a house (a life, a home, a family) built, and by understanding it is established [on a sound and good foundation]..."

Proverbs is a book in the Bible that is all about godly wisdom! It shares just how important it is to be wise, not in the world's eyes, but rather in God's eyes.

There is a preacher who says something along this line about wisdom: "Wisdom does what will benefit in the long run, not what feels good now."

Yesterday I shared the importance of waiting on God and how difficult that can be at times. Well, wisdom involves a lot of waiting as well.

When I read today's verse, I thought about how I want to have a family of my own someday (a husband and kids with God as our center). I looked at how this verse said that skillful and godly Wisdom is what a house is built through.

This made me realize the importance of marrying someone who has God as his center because without that, he will not have the skillful and godly wisdom that a house is built through. This brings me back to the line that says, "Wisdom does what will benefit in the long run, not what feels good now."

In the here and now, wisdom tells me to continue waiting for God to bring about what He promised me four years ago, but my flesh tells me to try to manipulate situations to get what I want now. That sounds so awful when I actually write it, but it's the truth.

Anything that is not built on the solid Rock of Jesus will not stand, though. There is a story in the Bible that talks about building your house on the Rock. It is found in Matthew 7:24-27, and it says this, "So everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts upon them [obeying them] will be like a sensible (prudent, practical, wise) man who built his house upon the rock. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not do them will be like a stupid (foolish) man who built his house upon the sand. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell--and great and complete was the fall of it."

In life we will all be faced with the temptation to build our house on sand rather than on the Rock of Jesus. That apple will look so delicious and we'll be tempted to ask, "Did God really say?" When those temptations come, fight them off with the Word of God. Cling to His promises, and never let go! Don't settle with something that God didn't intend for you just because it may feel good now. Keep holding onto God and remember that wisdom does what will benefit in the long run, not what feels good in the present.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Your wisdom. It is nice that I don't have to go through this life wondering what I should do because You've given me all the answers to life in Your Word. When temptation comes telling me to follow after things other than wisdom, help me stand strong and say, "NO! I refuse to build my house on sand. I'm going to build my house on the solid Rock of Jesus." In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment