Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Choices

Psalm 97:11, "Light is sown for the [uncompromisingly] righteous and strewn along their pathway, and joy for the upright in heart [the irrepressible joy which comes from consciousness of His favor and protection]."

To have peace in your heart about knowing that God's favor and protection are over you truly is something that brings irrepressible joy!

When I am walking in the path that I know God has chosen for me, I find peace, joy, and satisfaction. When I begin walking down a road that I know isn't of Him, though, all of that peace, joy, and satisfaction diminish.

A verse that came to my mind this morning was Deuteronomy 30:19-20, "I call heaven and earth to witness this day against you that I have set before you life and death, the blessings and the curses; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live and may love the Lord your God, obey His voice, and cling to Him. For He is your life and the length of your days, that you may dwell in the land which the Lord swore to give to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

This verse shows us clearly that God has given us a choice: we can choose life and live, or we can choose death. We can choose blessings or curses, and He encourages us to choose life and blessings over death and curses.

I've noticed in my life that God has set different choices before me as well. Every day we have to choose what we will do. Some of the choices are simple such as what to eat for breakfast. Other choices are not as easy to make, though. In life, some of the bigger choices we will face will be what career to pursue, who to marry, where to live, and what house to buy.

What God directs us to do is to choose life.

What does this mean?

Recently I've have been given options. I've been given the option to follow where God is leading me or to follow what I feel like doing at the moment. When this happens, a battle takes place between the flesh and the Spirit. When I listen to what my flesh wants, the inward peace I have goes away. On the other hand, when I listen to God's still small voice and follow where He is leading (although it may be uncomfortable for a season) the peace and joy that come from knowing that His favor and protection are upon me outweigh the momentary discomfort of not receiving instant gratification.

Maybe you are being faced with a choice today also that you're wondering what road to take. I encourage you to choose life that you may live. If you are unsure of the path God is wanting you to choose, continue to seek Him! Then, take a step of faith and trust that He will get you where He wants you to be as long as You are seeking Him and His will.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Choices are things that we all face daily. Some of the choices are simple, while others are more difficult to decide on. I pray that as we seek You, You will put us on the path that You desire us to be on. In Jesus' name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment