Saturday, November 9, 2013

Stop Settling for Dollar Store Things

Ephesians 3:20, "Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think."

I'd like to share with you a moment I shared with God in the last couple weeks.

I read a blog on Facebook where a lady wrote about how she went to a Bible study where she was required to make a "husband list". This is the link to her page if you'd like to read it: http://sheismore.com/the-husband-list-12-non-negotiables/

In her blog, she shared how we need to talk to God about the specific traits we want in our spouse. She also shared twelve things that are "have to have" qualities in a spouse. These are non-negotiables.

After reading what she wrote, it was on my heart to make a husband list myself. I had done this before, but this time I was going to write my true heart's desires.

First I wrote down the "12 non-negotiables" that were shared, and then I wrote down my own desires in addition to these.

As I wrote this list, more and more things came to mind as to what I'd love to see in my spouse. I looked at this list and remember thinking, "Wow! I'm asking for a lot!" I began to feel as if I were being too specific and asking for a little too much when God spoke to my heart these words: "Taylor, I am able to do more than you can even think to ask Me for or even imagine. Stop asking me for dollar store things when I am the God of the universe and could you the world. I'm not saying I'm going to give you everything you want, but ask Me. Tell me your heart's desires. It is insulting to Me when You ask for puny things when I can do even more for you than you could even think to ask Me for."

I continued to write my list with specifics, and in the end, I had written down sixty qualities I hoped my husband would have.

Later in the week, after having this moment with God, I experienced a situation where someone tried to inform me that there was never going to be anyone who was everything on my list. This wasn't the first time I was told that I was too picky. There have been a handful of people who have told me that my expectations were too high. At one point, I believed them... not anymore, though. After God speaking what He did to my heart, I recognized the voice when the person told me that nobody would ever come who was everything on that list. I realized that God wasn't the one telling me that. That was a lie from the enemy being spoken to me through a person.

I was eventually able to share what God had told me. It was an eye-opening moment to the person I shared it with. Today, I wanted to share that experience with you.

If you are looking for someone to spend the rest of your life with, don't settle for dollar store things when God is wanting to give you the world. Perhaps you'll have to wait a while before the man who can fill the things on your list comes along, but it will be worth the wait.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I loved the moment You and I shared when You laid upon my heart to stop settling for dollar store things when You could give me more than I could even think to ask You for. Lord, I now recognize when the enemy is trying to get me to settle for less than Your best. Let the only voice I listen to be Your voice speaking to me. If it's not Your voice, let me be able to recognize that and reject it. Lord, You now have heard my heart's desires from my own mouth. Help me not settle for anything other than the man You have for me. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment