Friday, January 17, 2014

Are There Any Righteous People Left?

Genesis 18:32, "Finally, Abraham said, 'Lord, please don't be angry with me if I speak one more time. Suppose only ten are found there?' And the Lord replied, 'Then I will not destroy it for the sake of the ten.'"

"Are there any godly people left?"

In Genesis 18:20-21, we read, "So the Lord told Abraham, 'I have heard a great outcry from Sodom and Gomorrah, because their sin is so flagrant. I am going down to see if their actions are as wicked as I have heard. If not, I want to know."

God had heard the outcry from these cities due to their sin. He wanted to know whether this was the case or not, so He went to check it out. He was talking to Abraham about his plan to destroy the city, and Abraham began asking the question, "If you find a certain amount of righteous people living there, will you still destroy it?" He starts by asking if He'd destroy it if there were fifty righteous people there. Then he goes to forty-five. Next he asks, "What about forty?" He then dwindles down from thirty... to twenty... to ten.

If you've ever read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, you know that the city was destroyed, so obviously, God didn't even find ten righteous people living there.

How discouraging it must've been that out of an entire city, not even ten righteous people could be found.

Tonight, this is the story that was on my mind.

Have you ever gone through a season of discouragement after seeing the immorality taking place in our culture?

This is where I found myself recently.


I was feeling very discouraged by the sinful things I saw taking place, and my heart was heavy.

As I looked around, I kept asking God, "Is there even one left who is truly a person after Your own heart? Yes, everyone makes mistakes and sins against you... but, is there anyone who is truly seeking You and living their life for you?"

As I found myself completely discouraged and frustrated, God came near to me and gave me comfort in this one simple reminder: He will never fail me or disappoint me.

I was so discouraged by what I saw taking place, and I felt completely frustrated in wondering, "Is there even one righteous person left?" That is when God reminded me of Himself and the fact that when my hope is in Him, I will never be put to shame (see Isaiah 49:23). Yes, people will disappoint me. Others will fail me... BUT, my God will never fail or abandon me (see Deuteronomy 31:8). He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (see Hebrews 13:8). I don't have to fear that He will let me down.

Then He laid a verse on my heart. This verse was James 1:27: "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."

In my discouraged state, I was completely upset inside and my countenance showed it. At that moment, I was no longer being a good witness for Christ because I was so wrapped up in my own disappointments. God gently impressed upon my heart not to harden my heart toward people just because of my own hurt. He made me think of the saying I have up in my room which says, "Be the change you wish to see in this world."-Gandhi.

I realized tonight that I need to not allow the world to steal the joy God has freely given to me. I also realized how important it is to not allow it to steal my peace. Regardless of what anyone else chooses to do, I need to be who God called me to be and not allow the world to corrupt me.

If I look around at the world, it can be discouraging to see the immoral lifestyles that are being lived, accepted, and even taught; but One thing remains the same forever, and that is God Himself.

Lord,

You know how discouraged I've been. It is difficult in those moments of seeing worldliness taking place for me to see past my own hurt and pain, and it feels as if there aren't many people still living for You. I know that isn't true, though. God, remind me of the Davids... the people who truly are men and women after Your own heart. Remind me of the many people who do love You and are following You. Help me not be discouraged; rather, help me remember that "[You are] my refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So [I] will not fear when earthquakes come and mountains crumble into the sea." Psalm 46:1-2 (italics mine). Thank You that You will always remain the same. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment