Sunday, October 19, 2014

Do I Seek His Face or Simply His Hand?

Jeremiah 29:13, "If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me."

Have you ever heard of the importance of seeking God's face, not just His hand?

Last night, God reminded me of the importance of this. He did so through a friend.

This afternoon I'm going to a friend's house for dinner. I asked if there was anything I could bring, and I ended up offering to bring dessert. My friend has had this dessert before... peanut-butter pie... and he really enjoyed it! Once I finished making it last night, I sent him a picture of what it looks like. He said he was going to head to my house to eat it. I joked with him about it and said, "You just want my pie." He said, "No, I want you because you make the pie."

I knew my friend wasn't serious. He'd proven to me already that whether I brought peanut-butter pie or not, he still wanted to be my friend. Still, God used this conversation to make me think about whether I want God or if I just want what He can give me.

Do I seek His face, or do I simply seek His hand?

Going back to the story of my friend and I, I really am grateful that my friend enjoys eating the peanut-butter pie I make. It makes me feel good! However, if I thought my friend only wanted a friendship with me based on that, it would take the joy out of making it for him.

I'm sure that God enjoys giving us good gifts! Scripture talks about how He knows how to give good gifts to His children (see Matthew 7:11). But just like me with my friend, I know God desires us to want Him more than His gifts.

Are we seeking His face or simply His hand?

Dear Heavenly Father,

I must admit that sometimes I get more wrapped up in what You can do for me than I do in simply seeking Your face. You tell us all throughout Scripture the importance of asking You for what we need, but I believe You also desire us to simply seek You. Lord, help me want You more than anything You can give to me. Let me always know that You are more than enough! Thank You for the relationship You have with me. Thank You for loving me like You do. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment