Saturday, September 27, 2014

Why Do The Worldly Prosper?

Psalm 73:12-13, "Look at these wicked people - enjoying a life of ease while their riches multiply. Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason?"

"I sometimes wish I wasn't so deep. Sometimes I wish I was more shallow."

These are the words I cried out in a moment where I didn't want to think about the long term. All I wanted to think about was how something was making me feel right now. I wanted to enjoy the moment without looking at the reality of the future.

God has always had a really strong call on my life. This is a wonderful thing, but it leaves no room for fleshly baggage. I have strong convictions about what I believe. Things that most people look at as no big deal are normally a huge deal to me! This is a good thing, but I have had times in my life where Psalm 73 summed up how I was feeling.

I'll never forget the impact this Psalm had on my life. When I was a teenager, I was so frustrated one day when I was watching people who weren't following God getting exactly what I thought I wanted. I was doing my best to follow God yet felt like I was getting the short end of the stick.

Then I read Psalm 73.

In this Psalm, it talks about a godly person who is watching ungodly people who seem to be getting everything they want. Verses 5-7 say, "They don't have troubles like other people; they're not plagued with problems like everyone else. They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty. These fat cats have everything their hearts could ever wish for!"

That's how I felt! Things seemed so unfair! I was so irritated!

Then I continued reading.

When I got to the end of this Psalm, God had humbled my heart! Verses 17-19 say, "Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked. Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction. In an instant they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors."

After reading this Psalm, I saw what was going on through totally different eyes. The people I thought had it so good were really lost and in need of something more than this world can give.




Verses 21-22 say, "Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside. I was so foolish and ignorant - I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you."

I'll never forget the revelation God brought me through this chapter because it made me realize that although the world may seem to be getting everything they want, if they aren't following God, it's a slippery slope to their own destruction. I shouldn't envy them. I should share Jesus with them.

Maybe you feel like I have many times before. You feel you're following God yet the world seems to be getting what they want way more than you are. If so, I encourage you to read Psalm 73 often and remind yourself that in the end, not following God leads to destruction.

Dear Heavenly Father,

There have been many moments in my life where I felt as if people who weren't following You had an easier life than me. At times I found myself bitter about this. However, You remind me of Psalm 73 often and help me keep in perspective that it's really just a slippery slope. Help me follow You where You lead no matter the cost. Help my eyes stay fixed on You, and even when no one else follows, help me walk that narrow path that You've called me to walk. Thank You for loving me enough to have a relationship with me! In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment