Saturday, February 13, 2016

Remember

Psalm 105:5, "Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered..."

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've shared a new devotional on here. Life has felt like a whirlwind these last few months. Finally, things seem to be slowing down, and I should get the chance to write more.

What's on my heart to share with you today is this simple word "remember".

In a fast paced world where we're constantly looking ahead to the next thing, it's easy to get so wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of life that we forget to stop and remember. I can attest to the fact that I've been wrapped up in the hustle and bustle ever since the middle of last year. With job changes, an engagement, a wedding, and moving, I was a little (okay, a lot) wrapped up in my own little world. I talked about the wedding so much that my poor mom just needed a day off from talking about "the wedding" at times because that was my sole focus for weeks.

Now things have slowed down, and I'm able to sit here and write... and remember.

As I reflect on this last year, I can't fully grasp all that's taken place. This time last year I saw no possibility of being where I'm at today. I was at the same job I'd been at for three years. I saw no hope of ever getting married, and don't even get me started on Valentine's Day. Ha!

Today, as I sit here in my apartment, married, looking forward to Valentine's Day, and beginning a whole new chapter in life, I'm wanting to recap on some things I want to remember.

I want to remember where God's brought me from.

For many of you reading this, you've read through my devotionals for years and have listened as I've shared my heart with you about my desire to be a wife. You've watched the different seasons in my life and have shared in my struggles through the times I couldn't see what God was doing up ahead. Now, not only have you got to watch me walk down the aisle, but you've also got to witness the faithfulness of the God we serve. You've got to see that, not only did God allow me to be a wife, He also allowed me to marry a godly man who was totally worth the wait. Nathan's and my testimony both are things I'm grateful God's allowing us to share. We both felt hopeless at times, but both of us would do it all over again knowing what we know now! We couldn't see it at the time, but God could, and I never want to forget that. In those years of me not being able to understand, God was up to something behind the scenes, and He was growing Nathan's and my faith in the process.

Another thing I want to remember is the process of how we got here.

From the very start, God was working. Nathan has been all over the world, and he met me in the small town I grew up in. Every time I think of this, I'm amazed. I mean, he was half way around the world at one point... and he met me in Tehachapi! This is a huge example of how God was working to bring us together. Even in small ways, though, when I think back to some of the silly things I worried about at times, I now think they're just that... silly. I remember when Nathan and I just got engaged, we were so discouraged just about not being able to find a church that would do our wedding since we were in-between churches. That proved to be just the start of our many situations we'd come up against that could steal our peace if we allowed them to. However, here we are today, married and realizing it all worked out. I wasted a lot of time worrying.

What is the point of looking back and remembering?

I believe there could be many reasons it's important to remember. One of which is so that we don't forget the Lord. Deuteronomy 8:11 says, "Take care lest you forget the Lord your God by not keeping his commandments and his rules and his statutes, which I command you today..." God warns us through the following verses about making sure we don't forget Him when blessings come our way. How true I'm finding that to be! In seasons of struggle, I cling to God so tight, but in seasons of prosperity, sometimes I'm tempted to think, "I've got this, God." Ha! Yeah right!

It's important to remember that the same God sustaining us through difficulty is sustaining us through seasons of blessing!

My favorite thing about remembering is that when I'm tempted to worry again, I'm encouraged as I remember the times I worried before and then realized what a waste of time that was.

There's been a lot of changes in my life, as you could imagine, and they're really good changes. At the same time, they feel overwhelming on occasion. I've had some moments where I've just lost it in front of Nathan as I've expressed that this is my first time living away from home and as I've drug my feet in the ground on applying for a new job at the thought of one more change. If I don't look back and remember how far God's brought us, I feel overwhelmed, but if I look back, I see that the same God who calmed my fear of not knowing where we would get married is the same God Who will calm my fear if I go back to work in a new environment.

Today, think about this word "remember" and watch as your heart is encouraged by recalling all God's done! Read through Psalm 105 as the Old Testament stories are retold in a chapter. You'll experience a fresh new perspective as you read of God's faithfulness. Then, when you look back over the places God's walked you through, praise Him and know that He is the same God today that He was then.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Today You're reminding me of the importance of remembering... remembering Who You are, where You've brought me through, and how You've got me here today. As I recall my own life, I see how You have been working all along, and it brings so much encouragement to my heart knowing that You'll continue to work in my life through this new chapter. I pray that anyone reading this will be encouraged as they read Your Word and remember all You did then and all You've done in their lives. Let that encourage them to know You'll continue to guide them where they're at.

Jesus, thank You!

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment