Monday, November 12, 2012

Don't Miss Today

Ecclesiastes 9:12, "For man also knows not his time [of death]: as the fishes are taken in an evil net, and as the birds are caught in the snare, so are the sons of men snared in an evil time when [calamity] falls suddenly upon them."

Ecclesiastes is a book in the Bible that reminds me a lot about time! Chapter 3 talks a lot about there being a season and a time for every activity under heaven. We also see often in Ecclesiastes how Solomon ponders what his time on earth is really all about since there were people before him who were forgotten and people who would be after him which would not remember him.

This verse in chapter 9 talks about how we don't know how long we will be here on this earth. It seems like a depressing verse, but I partially like it because it reminds me of the importance of today.

With me turning 18 this year, I feel like this is an exciting time in my life. I'm beginning my adult life and have so many hopes and dreams for the future! I know that God has a good plan for my life!

I've always struggled with living in today, though. God's been really working on my heart and helping me no longer miss the moment, but it's easy for me to fall into the looking forward to the future while missing what's right in front of me.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, though.

I hope that I live to see many days, but just like everyone else, I'm not promised tomorrow. God's given me the gift of today!

When I live in a way of seeing today as the day the Lord has made and rejoicing and being glad in it, I can make the most of what God has in store for today instead of living in what I'm hoping for tomorrow.

This isn't to say that we should neglect tomorrow. We need to make wise decisions today that will benefit us in the long run. What I'm talking about is not being so caught up in tomorrow that we miss some of the most important things in our lives.

I've seen some people who were in my life for only a short time, and then I've seen people who have been in my life for a  long time and are still in my life today.

My family, I've been blessed to see almost every day of my life.

Some friends, I've had for years, and I'm so grateful for those lasting friendships.

Some friends, I met this year, and I cherish the fact that I'm blessed to get to know them more and more still.

Then there are people who were in my life and no longer are there.

All of these people God has in my life or had in my life for the season He knew was best. It's just like in the story of Esther... "For such a time as this."

What God has shown me is that I cannot go back to yesterday, and I don't know what the future holds, but I do have right now, and what I do today matters! At the end of Ecclesiastes, Solomon sums up all that he's said by saying, "All has been heard; the end of the matter is: Fear God [revere and worship Him, knowing that He is] and keep His commandments, for this is the whole of man [the full, original purpose of his creation, the object of God's providence, the root of character, the foundation of all happiness, the adjustment to all inharmonious circumstances and conditions under the sun] and the whole [duty] for every man." Ecclesiastes 12:13.

Today, what is important is that we keep God as our top priority! If we do that, everything else will fall into place!

Dear Heavenly Father,

You've shown to me the importance of time! You've shown me that there are some things that will be a part of my life for a long time, while there are others that will only be there for a season. Help me not miss what You have in store for today all because I'm too wrapped up in my hopes for tomorrow. Let me see this as the day You have made, and then help me rejoice and be glad in it. I know that where I'm at today is for such a time as this, so help me be in the center of Your will. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment